Should I wrap or cover the rash with bandages?

Should I wrap or cover the rash with bandages?

Because it can be embarrassing and painful to touch, it is common to want to cover poison ivy rash. Some companies also require that the rash is covered to help prevent infection while on the job.

How can I relieve the itching?

How can I relieve the itching?

There is no cure for the poison oak or poison ivy rash once it begins, but if you focus on relieving the symptoms you can stop poison ivy itching.

Do the blisters cause the rash to spread?

Do the blisters cause the rash to spread?

No, the poison ivy blisters are the caused by the body's natural allergic reaction to the plants. If the blisters break and ooze, the fluid does not contain the oil that causes spreading.

Can I get the rash from someone else?

Can I get the rash from someone else?

Generally speaking, no. Poison ivy spreading is caused by coming in contact with the rash-causing oil, urushiol. Once a poison ivy or oak rash appears (i.e., within 1-3 days), the original oil has all bonded to the skin, so it can't be spread to others.

How long will my poison oak or ivy rash last?

How long will my poison oak or ivy rash last?

It is very common for people to ask, "How long does a poison ivy last?", especially if they are new to having a breakout. Unfortunately, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Typically, mild cases of poison ivy or poison oak rash can last 5-12 days. This will depend on how your individual body reacts to the urushiol from the plants. Some people are less sensitive, resulting in a mild rash which may clear up quickly. Hypersensitive people may have a severe rash that forms quickly and should see a doctor for proper treatment. In severe cases, poison ivy rash may last 30 days or longer.

Does bleach remove the urushiol oil or help heal the rash?

Does bleach remove the urushiol oil or help heal the rash?

No, a very common misconception is that you should use bleach on poison ivy rash. Using bleach for poison ivy may seem to be a quick fix to removing the rash-causing oil, but you could be doing more damage to your body. When you apply bleach directly to the skin, it removes the top layer causing irritation. Bleach may also weaken your skin so that your rash may become worse, lead to increased skin sensitivity and possibly an infection.

Are dead poison oak or ivy plants safe to touch?

Are dead poison oak or ivy plants safe to touch?

In the winter, dormant poison ivy and oak plants may lose all of their leaves and berries. It can be difficult to tell if the plants are still alive. Even with dead poison ivy, all parts of the plants, including the roots and stems, contain rash-causing urushiol. Urushiol will remain intact and does not evaporate, even after the plants die.

Can I get the rash from my pets?

Can I get the rash from my pets?

Yes, you can get poison ivy from your dog, cat or any other outdoor pet. Since animals' fur protects their skin from the urushiol oil, they typically don't develop a rash. It can be difficult to tell if they have been in contact with poison ivy or oak plants, or carrying the rash-causing oil. However, the oil will remain on their fur and may contaminate you when you touch them.